Public consultations - Rooming House Review
The City of Toronto is holding a series of public consultation meetings on proposed regulations for multi-tenant houses – commonly referred to as rooming houses.
Two different sets of meetings will be held. The first set of meetings will be held in five "pilot" areas where multi-tenant houses currently are not permitted, while the second set will take place in areas of the city where multi-tenant houses are permitted.
City Council endorsed a three-year pilot project last fall to introduce a temporary zoning bylaw to allow multi-tenant houses in five areas of the city where they currently are not permitted.
The area boundaries for the pilot project are:
- Highway 401, Morrish Road, Military Trail (Wards 43, 44)
- Finch Avenue West, Martin Grove Road, Humber College Boulevard (Ward 1)
- Finch Avenue West, Assiniboine Road, Black Creek Drive, Keele Street (Ward 8)
- Finch Avenue East, Leslie Street, Highway 404, Fairview Mall Drive (Ward 33)
- Steeles Avenue, Highway 404, Highway 401, Markham Road (Wards 39, 40, 41)
At the meetings, members of the public will learn about the proposed zoning approach and licensing strategy and will be asked to provide input on:
- how multi-tenant houses should be zoned
- the maximum number of rooms allowed in a multi-tenant home, and
- what requirements multi-tenant operators should have in place (such as site plan, waste management plan and parking plan).
Public consultation meetings will take place from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in pilot areas where multi-tenant homes are not permitted. Dates and locations:
- Tuesday, June 6, University of Toronto Scarborough Campus, Room HW305, 1265 Military Trail
- Wednesday, June 7, James Cardinal McGuigan Catholic High School, Cafeteria, 1440 Finch Ave. W.
- Monday, June 12, Oriole Community Centre, Multipurpose Room B, 2975 Don Mills Rd.
- Tuesday, June 13, Stephen Leacock Community Recreation Centre, 2520 Birchmount Rd.
- Thursday, June 15, Elmbank Community Centre, Gym, 10 Rampart Rd.
- Wednesday, June 21, L'Amoreaux Community Recreation Centre, Main Floor, 2000 McNicoll Ave.
Public consultation meetings taking place in areas where multi-tenant homes are permitted include the following dates and locations:
- Wednesday, June 14, Jimmie Simpson Recreation Centre, Multipurpose Room, 870 Queen St. E., 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 20, Lillian H. Smith Library, Auditorium, 239 College St., 6 to 8 p.m.
- Thursday, June 22, Toronto Public Library, Parkdale Branch,1303 Queen St. W., 6 to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 27, Wellesley Community Centre, Room A, 495 Sherbourne St., 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Residents unable to attend a meeting are invited to fill out an online survey to provide their views on the proposed regulations.
Staff of Municipal Licensing & Standards and City Planning expect to report on findings from the consultations this fall.
More information and the survey are available at www.toronto.ca/mlshaveyoursay.