TYES Scholarship Program
The Toronto Youth Equity Strategy (TYES) is a City of Toronto strategy that includes 28 recommendations and 110 actions aimed at creating more supportive systems and building resiliency of youth most vulnerable to involvement in serious violence and crime.
The City of Toronto formed a Scholarship Committee with representatives from: Amadeusz; The John Howard Society, and; Storybook Parents – Toronto Public Library.
2015 TYES Scholarships will be awarded as follows:
- Five $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to incarcerated youth
- Four $2,000 scholarships will be awarded to recently released youth
Who Can Apply?
The scholarship is for youth who are:
- 18 to 29 years old
- pursuing post-secondary education (in-process/accepted to a Canadian college, university, trade or other institution)
- current residents of Toronto (or previous/future Toronto residents for incarcerated youth)
- currently incarcerated at the Toronto South Detention Centre, Toronto East Detention Centre or Vanier Centre for Women OR;
- recently released from incarceration (within the last 2 years)
All applications must be submitted through an eligible referral source. Referral sources can include:
- Non-profit, community based organizations
- Governmental bodies
The applications are due by November 16, 2015. Successful applicants will be notified early December 2015.
Please find more information and the application form here.