Ensuring Access to Sanitation and Washroom Services for Vulnerable Populations
The ability to practice proper hygiene, including handwashing, is vital to stopping the spread of COVID-19. Due to the closure of community and drop-in spaces, some of our most vulnerable, including those experiencing homelessness, now have limited access to washrooms and handwashing facilities. In response to this need, we have opened Sanitation and Washroom Service locations across the city to provide access to showers, washrooms, and drinking water during the COVID-19 pandemic.
There are now portable washrooms and handwashing stations at the following locations:
- Alexandra Park, 275 Bathurst St
- Jimmie Simpson Park, 872 Queen St E
- Regent Park, 600 Dundas St E
- Outside Wellesley Community Centre, 495 Sherbourne St
- Moss Park, 150 Sherbourne St
- Sunnyside Park, 755 Lake Shore Blvd W
- Little Norway Park, 689 Queen's Quay W
- Yonge-Dundas Square, 1 Dundas St E
These stations are cleaned and re-stocked twice daily. The City continues to explore opportunities to locate additional portable toilets and handwashing stations at strategic locations across the city.
The City has also opened Sanitation and Washroom Service locations for people experiencing homelessness. Each location has showers, washrooms, and drinking water available:
- Harrison Pool, 15 Stephanie St
- Wallace Emerson Community Centre, 1260 Dufferin St
- Regent Park Community Centre, 402 Shuter St
- Centennial Park Arena (Etobicoke), 156 Centennial Park Rd
- Commander Arena (Scarborough), 140 Commander Blvd
- Malvern Community Centre Arena (Scarborough), 30 Sewells Rd
Ensuring the ability to physically distance at each Sanitation and Washroom Service location is a top priority. As such, infection prevention and control measures are in place, and City staff are on-site at each location to ensure proper protocols are being followed.
As we work together to fight this virus, it is critical that we ensure our most vulnerable have access to the support that they need, and we will continue to review and adapt our response to these rapidly changing circumstances.