Moving forward with mandatory registration for short-term rentals

After brief delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Toronto is moving ahead with the implementation of local bylaws regulating short-term rentals in our communities. These regulations balance the freedom of residents to rent out their homes with the needs of our city when it comes to affordable housing, community safety, noise complaints, and neighbourhood livability.

Beginning next month, operators of short-term rentals (including Airbnb hosts) who a renting their homes for a period of less than 28 consecutive days will be required to register with the City of Toronto in order to operate legally.

Registration will open on September 10, with all current operators, including short-term rental companies, required to register by December 31, 2020. People can short-term rent their homes in Toronto only if they are a registered operator. A valid City-issued registration number must be included in all advertisements and listings.

Registration for short-term rentals and related payment processing will be available online. People can learn more about the rules and the information needed for registration here.

Over the next few months, the City will educate the public on the rules, encourage operators to register their short-term rentals, and work with companies to ensure compliance with the licensing rules.

In addition, registered short-term rental operators will need to start collecting and remitting the four per cent Municipal Accommodation Tax (MAT) on a quarterly basis starting January 1, 2021. More information on how to collect and make the MAT payments will be provided in fall 2020.

The City’s zoning bylaws and the Licensing and Registration of Short-Term Rentals bylaw regulate short-term rentals in Toronto. The bylaws permit short-term rentals (any rental that is less than 28 consecutive days) across the city in principal residences only. Within their principal residence, people can rent up to three rooms or their entire home.

City staff are continuing to respond to short-term rental issues on a complaints basis. You can report a short-term rental that is in violation of the rules, or a noise and waste infraction, by calling 311 with a complaint.