New Appointments Available for Seniors 80+ to Book Second Dose of COVID-19 Vaccine
Beginning May 31, the City of Toronto has opened more than 10,000 new appointments at City-run immunization clinics for second doses of COVID-19 vaccine for individuals age 80 and older.
This means that if you are 80 years of age and above and have already received your first dose of vaccine, you may be able to move up the date of your second dose appointment. You can read the City's full release here.
To make a second dose appointment or move up your appointment to an earlier date, you must do so either through the online registration system or by phone.
If you received your first dose of vaccine at a City-run immunization clinic, you can either:
-Go to the confirmation email received at the time of booking and follow the instructions to move up your appointment through the online registration system
-To move up your appointment by phone, call the Provincial Vaccine Booking Line at 1-833-943-3900 (TTY for people who are deaf, hearing-impaired or speech-impaired: 1-866-797-0007)
If you received your first dose at a pharmacy or a hospital, you should first contact that location directly to make any changes to the booking appointment for your second dose.
For additional details, please see the City of Toronto's website, including the tab "Booking Your Second Dose," here.
Decisions about who is eligible to book vaccination appointments are made by the Province of Ontario. Currently, people who are eligible for accelerated second dose appointments are limited to the following:
- People 80 years of age and above
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit individuals, including non-Indigenous partners and household members
- People with certain high-risk health conditions, such as transplant recipients and people undergoing chemotherapy or immunotherapy
- Certain high-risk health care workers
More information on Eligibility is available here. Based on the Ontario Government's current announcements:
- People who are 70 years of age and older in 2021 will become eligible book their second dose appointment for an earlier date starting the week of June 14, depending on vaccine supply
- People who received their first dose between March 8 and April 18 will become eligible to book their second dose appointment for an earlier date starting the week of June 28, depending on vaccine supply
- People who received their first dose between April 19 and May 9 can book their second dose appointment for an earlier date starting the week of July 19