Urgent TTC Track Repairs - King Street West Between Strachan Avenue and Niagara Street
Between February 8th to 10th, the TTC will be undertaking essential rail repairs on King Street West between Strachan Avenue and Niagara Street. Starting at 7 a.m. on Saturday, February 8*, TTC crews will work to repair the identified sections of rail. This work will require temporary service changes to the 504/304 King route.
*Winter weather conditions can delay the start of planned rail repairs. In such instances, the work is rescheduled for the next best available date.
February 8-10, 2020
From 5 a.m. on Saturday, February 8 to 5 a.m. Monday, February 10 the 504/304 King route Streetcars will be diverted both ways via Spadina Avenue, Queen Street West and Shaw Street; and Replacement buses will operate both ways on King Street West between Dufferin Gate Loop and King/John area.
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction through the work zone for the duration of the work;
- On-street parking will be restricted in the area to create a safe work zone, and to maintain traffic;
- Some turning restrictions within the work zone can be expected; and
- The lane restrictions and work zone will be cleared by Monday morning at approximately 5 a.m. after the newly placed concrete has cured adequately for road traffic.
Starting at approximately 5 a.m. on Saturday, February 8, a work zone will be set-up. Track crews will work around-the-clock to ensure quality installation of the new rail and concrete. The following is the general sequence of the work and timeline:
- Soon after the work zone has been established the track crew will begin localized excavation and
concrete chipping to the rail to be replaced;
- The old rail will be replaced with new rail. This will involve some rail cutting and welding/ grinding;
- Concrete will be placed in the track area and set to cure; and
- The newly placed concrete requires curing time before the work zone is removed for the resumption of
full road use at 5 a.m. on Monday, February 10.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as the TTC undertakes these essential rail repairs to maintain safe streetcar service.
For further TTC information
Arno van Dijk, Construction Liaison Officer, 416-393-3792, [email protected]